Monday, February 17, 2014

ON BEING A MOM WITH SOMETIMES SWEET

Dani is such an inspirational mom. I've loved reading her blog, Sometimes Sweet, over the past couple years. Dani and her husband have two adorable little boys and I always look forward to her posts about family! :) Thank you so much, Dani, for sharing about your family and mommy-hood!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Greatest Challenge as a Mom
It's so hard to pick just one thing, but I'd have to say that my biggest challenge is letting go. To me this is the hardest part of being a parent- because really, that's such a huge part of being a parent; letting go just a little more everyday. As much as I love watching my kids grow and evolve, there's always a tiny little part of my heart that feels sad that it's all going by so quickly. It's still shocking to me that my three-year old is THREE and my new baby boy is already close to 6 months old! How and when did that happen? So my big challenge, every single day, is really being in the now and appreciating every stage for what it is, instead of feeling sad that time is ticking on by.


Greatest Joy
My greatest joys are the simple things - Charlie's morning smiles in his crib, Henry's messy bedhead and the way he rubs his eyes when he walks out of his bedroom. It's the bedtime stories and the special lunches and the long strolls to the duck pond. The happy laughter and the silly jokes and the way it feels to hear "I love you." It's so much more than that, but the greatest joys for me are all of the everyday things.

Favorite Memory Being a Mom
A recent one would have to be when Henry met Charlie for the first time at the hospital, right after I gave birth. It was amazing. We had anticipated that moment for so long but nothing had prepared me for what it would feel like to see my oldest son holding my youngest. I'd say it was one of the most beautiful memories of my life, so far.

A Word of Advice
For new moms, do what works best for you and your family. Everyone has an opinion, and everyone thinks their way is the best way, because it's the way that works for them. So read the books, check out the blogs…but in the end listen to your own instincts and do what is best for you.

5 Resources You LOVE as a Mom
1// As far as blogs go, here are a couple: We Seek Joy, which is my friend N'Tima's space all about her life and her new baby girl. Her writing is great and she inspires me daily to see the beauty in the little things. I also love Small Fry Blog, which is a blog geared for parents and is chock full of fabulous content, ideas, and inspiration.

2// The Snuza. This is a little device that clips to your baby's diaper and sounds an alarm if he stops breathing. Invaluable. We used this with Henry and use it now with Charlie. Best baby product ever. I wrote more about it in a Hello Giggles column, if you'd like more info.

3// Mom's One Line a Day Journal. This is such a fun little book and so easy to use, because you just have to write down one line a day. This is a great keepsake, and such a fun place to record all of the little things (funny quotes, random stories) that might otherwise be forgotten.

4// Solly Baby Wrap. This was my favorite thing during those first newborn months. Nothing is better than wearing your baby, and having them so close all day, and the Solly Wrap is by far the lightest, best, and easiest to use. I can't recommend it enough.

5// Timer Cam App. Seems like a silly thing, but I love using this app on my iPhone to take photos of the boys and me during the day. It's so important for me to actually be in the photos too (as the main picture-taker of the family I have to make a conscious effort to do this), so the timer app is a great way to capture moments when my husband is at work. And this one is my favorite.

Find Dani here: Site | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment